Sunday, November 13, 2005

Another Unoriginal Post

This post is old repost some of the regular readers of this post, through other sources. I have however thought about it for so long that I feel compelled to post it. I came close to feeling such an emotion on one starry night as I slept under an open sky in Sabarimala, two years ago. But if I tried to put that experience in words, it would be a clever intellectualization at best. Maybe I should have posted it earlier...

Into the 4th week of ramadan fast, bodies weakened by the continous fasting, with no vitality retained to pursue lust, anger or anything else, the mind succumbs to prayer, from azan at dawn to the second prayer the mind doesnt rebel, it just listens to the quran quoted at intervals.
In the desert where there is a awesome peace absolutely incomparable in other parts of the world where its as if the whole world has stopped, the sky is a kaleidoscope , the heavens are never as beautiful as they are in the clear desert skies. Hearing the azan peace sweeps through your soul, and you thank god, overwhelmed by Shukr for giving you the chance to experience this peace, unconquered in ability to fulfil the soul.
Tears flood the eyes. All is forgotten. Only the Shahadah remains. There is no god but God. The feeling is deep and beautiful. The pleasures of the world are seen in a new perspective cheap and fleeting compared to this peace. Thoughts are forgotten. Philosphies are dead. What religion? What prophet? What Holy Book? No intellect. No thoughts. Only Iman(Faith) and Tawhid(difficult to explain means oneness of god). All the clever intellectualizations remain shattered at the feet of the maker Al-Aala the most high from whom we came and to whom we must return.

Let me live in islam, Let me die in islam . What is Islam? from the root slm, to obey, to surrender to gods will in total peace. A Moslem is one who's surrendered.
Peace be to all

-cheers
Sriram 'donalduch' Veeramani

1 comment:

Zeus said...

Hi Duch!
Sorry if you felt that way...What I meant was...
If at all I tried to describe a feeling similar to what you so simply described, I would end up trying to impress and beat the listener with clever words and creative thoughts. It becomes a war in the head. I think. You think. I outthink.

It has become a self defence mechanism. I defeated the very purpose of the post.

Sorry again. BTW your blog seems to have been removed or something...I can't see it?