Friday, February 25, 2005

A Broken Bridge ...

9.30 pm ; 23rd February , 2005

As i was about to get up and pick up my helmet to bid goodbye to an almost carefree day, my chat window blinked, my system groaned "ding".
With utmost caution, i checked the new chat window that had popped up.
The originator was my Onsite Co-ordinator.
"Production Server is down" , He groaned.
My heart skipped a beat or five. Thousands of tiny questions sky rocketed the horizon of my mind..

"Was it the new query change ?"
"Did i forget to include something in the release log?"
"Am i talking too much to myself ?"

"Please check this asap.." and he ran to a meeting to be badgered by several IT leads, business users are more.
The application was running fine on one module, and the other module wouldnt just load up. The error message given was
"Failure of Apache Server Bridge".

Maybe due to the Calvin's Tracer-Bullet Overdose, i felt like ..
"Who built the bridge ? "
"why is weblogic using the Apache bridge ? Did they borrow it or steal it ?"
"Why did the bridge breakdown ? Did the contractor steal some cement and code ? Had he dozed off while building it?"
"Did my app find a way to break the most robust bridge ?"

To replicate the error, i pointed the source code on my system to the Production database. Voila! it was running fine, no errors at all.. hmmm .. whats wrong with production server ? is he angry at all the work load ?

After 30 minutes of breaking my head, when i came to no conclusion, my chat window blinked again ...
"dont worry , its a weblogic flaw, they are going to deploy 8.1 SP4 patch ........"

phew ! yeeha! packup and leave for home :-)
For sometime, i didnt feel exhausted and sleepless ......


2 comments:

Balaji Chitra Ganesan said...

Hello Guys,

Sorry to intrude into your e-lives. But I hold y'all responsible for wasting my valuable hours when I should actually be working on an assignment due next week. Anyway made very interesting reading. By the way which company do u work for ? Happy blogging...

Peace,
Balaji.

Zeus said...

I am the 1000th visitor to my own blog. It feels weird like entering my own brain...a La Being Malkovich...