Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Yellow flags

As pleasant a morning as any.
7:00 a.m, empty roads and a fine bike. I was driving at under 50 kmph when I saw the countdown clock on a traffic light tick away 5...4...3...2... towards red. I didn't want to wait another 80 seconds so I flicked my wrist to race across the intersection before it went to red.
50...55...60...61...slow down.
Cool. Now you may wonder how I know that it was 61, I'll tell you.
Suddenly from behind a parked, unmarked Scorpio a big traffic police man jumps at me with an impossibly commic looking gun pointed at me. I slam the brakes and stop yards in front of him. He wags a hairy crooked finger at me with a totally unsexy "come hither" gesture. I meekly roll over to him. He turns the ignition off and takes the keys. He says park it and bring me your license (I just checked the spelling of that one in Dictionary.com)
He writes what seems look like an FIR, chargesheet, death sentence all rolled into one. He turns to me and says "400 bucks" I gape like an ape. I say something like "Sir...I...money...no...only 200...what...do..." He looks at me like I am a worm that he stepped on with his boot. Grimace. Call a friend. Or go get the money and come back. Your bike will be here.
A constable sniggers in a corner. I offer to leave my license, take my bike and get back with the money. Surprisingly and thankfully the Inspector (Yes the hairy one was an Inspector no less!) tells me to go and get the money. I search high I search low and find an ATM which spews 400 rupees of my hard earned money. To cut a long story short I make my way back ata respectful 25 kmph on third gear and pay the police man.
The man takes the money and gives me a reciept and a copy of the rap sheet for me to sign. I see his comment "Driver was speeding towards officer at 61 kmph recorded on speed gun"
Thank god I was not arrested for assault on an officer of the law. He then instructed me that the speed limit on this road is 60 kmph.


Boo Hoo.

I would have gladly given you 400 bucks if I had been racing at 110 like I usually do when my speed demon beckons. For a piddling little kilometer over the edge, wasn't that excessive?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

tough luck d00d.

u know there r a lot of ppl who have no licence, no insurance, no nothing speeding around chennai in their loud yam's. (..wink...wink..)

wonder how they escape all the time, any yet U get caught.

i got two words 4 u.... slow down sucker !!

freakie said...

hey man i didnt even speed...n like a "accha bacha" going thru JN st, and the cops(the khaki 1s) made me sit it in Prison to check the documents (mot 1ce but 2wice).
i've got couple of hundred of words in all languages 4 them....

Anonymous said...

Man if you were in another you cud hav easily paid 250 bucks only